In partnership with Mergermarket
M&A activity in Italy, Spain & Portugal has been rocked by the COVID-19 pandemic harder than the rest of Europe. Our new Deal Drivers spotlight report focuses on M&A trends in Italy, Spain & Portugal, and examines the state of the market and what lies ahead. Notably:
- Italy and Spain had just 212 M&A transactions during Q1 – a 14% decline compared to the same period of last year.
- A single deal accounted for a third of deal value in Q1: the €5bn proposed tie-up between Italy’s Intesa Sanpaolo and UBI Banca banking groups.
- In April, 29 new transactions were announced and only five in May, down from 95 and 105 deals, respectively, in the same months of last year.
- Financial services in Italy, Spain and Portugal recorded €7.5bn worth of M&A activity during the first quarter of 2020, up 10x yoy.
- PE had 51 transactions in Italy, Spain and Portugal in Q1 2020, 24% down on last year.
Read the full report to learn more, including the top deals and bidders, future challenges, and sector-specific information.
For more about EMEA M&A trends, download our Deal Drivers EMEA FY19 report and Deal Drivers: France Q1 2020.